- Client/Project: Top 10 Pharmaceutical Company
- Service: Contractor Safety Management
- Term of Contract: March 2004 – Present
- Locations: New Jersey and Connecticut
A global pharmaceutical giant needed a reliable partner to manage the construction safety program—from the pre-planning process through project completion—at multiple locations throughout New Jersey and Connecticut.
In addition to overseeing contractors and conducting site safety orientations, the HazTek safety expert improved the pre-qualification process. This change allowed the client to identify prospective contractors with superior safety programs. In addition, the HazTek representative created a positive safety environment that turned pushback into teamwork and enhanced site safety performance.
The above efforts have further decreased the average incident rate for this client—already low—to less than
half of the national average of 2.1. In addition, the company has realized the following improvements (monthly averages):
- Orientations have increased an average of 52.5%, from 3,680 to 5,614.
- Accident/Incident/Near Miss Investigations increased 253%, from an average of 49 to 124. (Near misses were not reported and investigated before the HazTek partnership.)
- The average number of permits issued increased 285.7%, from 504 to 1440, allowing client employees to focus on other job responsibilities.
- Documented audits increased 393.8%, from an average of 160 to 630, while safety concerns dropped from 262 to 237. This achievement shows the value of using audits as an opportunity to educate workers on the value of site safety.
As a result, the client renewed HazTek’s contract under “no-bid” procurement terms due to the success of the contractor safety management program.